Thursday, February 27, 2014

Kid Friendly Spaghetti Bolognaise Sauce

As a kid, my mum would cook spaghetti bolognaise ALL. THE. TIME. We had it so often, that by the time I was a teenager, I was well and truly sick of eating it. It became my least favourite food and it would almost bring about a gag reflex just thinking about it. It's only been the last few years (after about a 10 year protest), that I have begun to enjoy eating it again. 

My daughter (2.5 years old) is a snacker, so by the time dinner time comes around, she usually isn't interested. Spaghetti bolognaise however, is one of her favourites, and she will usually eat a bowls worth plus more! 

Here is the recipe for my daughters favourite meal:


Spaghetti Bolognaise Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbs Olive oil
  • 20g butter
  • 2 brown onions
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 500g beef mince
  • 3 Tbs Tomato Paste
  • 1 Cup Beef Stock
  • 800g Can Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 Carrot grated
  • 1 Zucchini grated
  • 1 Tbs dried Oregano
  • 2 Dried Bay Leaves
Method:
  1. Heat oil and butter in a large frypan over medium-high heat
  2. Add onion and garlic, cook, stirring until onion softens
  3. Add the mince, cook, stirring until mince browns
  4. Add tomato paste, stock, can tomatoes, carrot, zucchini, oregano and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
  5. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Serve with cooked pasta.
Note:
I find this recipe is great for using up left over vegetables. I have added Eggplant, mushrooms, tomato, grated celery, frozen peas, and corn previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment